The official line-up of categories for the 2012 edition is as follows:
- CHILDREN’S: channels addressing younger audiences, infants, children, adolescents
- CINEMA: offerings of networks or specific services regarding cinema (including channels covering a specific genre or niche films: thriller, science-fiction, etc.)
- CULTURE/DOCUMENTARIES: literature, entertainment, the arts and educational programmes and original documentaries (history, nature, discoveries, travels, etc.)
- FICTION/GENERAL ENTERTAINMENT: channels that feature televised fiction and other entertainment genres, such as variety shows, quiz shows, comedies, reality shows, etc.
- LIFESTYLE: tourism, cooking, fashion, socio-cultural trends
- MUSIC: all music categories and genres
- NEWS: ‘all-news’ channels (national, regional or international news)
- SPORTS: general sport or specialist sport channels
An Award will also be assigned to the Best Programme among all the channels entered: the Best Programme is considered a source of particular pride of each channel, although not necessarily the most famous or representative show of the channel. Considering the high level of technological modernization and its widespread presence in the satellite landscape, an award to Innovation will be assigned to the channel that has the highest level of Technological Innovation.